Tuesday, November 15, 2011

The one where it all catches up with me.

I wrote 50,115 words on my writing project in the past two weeks. I was on a roll. My fingers were flying across the keyboard. My creative mind was out of control. I even had a few 5,000-word days last week.

All of that changed today. As of 4 p.m., I've written...*drumroll*... around 300 words.

I've lost my oomph. My creativity. My mojo. Whatever it is, I think that the adrenaline I was running on to complete the NaNoWriMo requirements so quickly is gone now, replaced by fatigue and the inability to pull ideas from my addled brain.

I'll try for more words later tonight after the kids go to sleep and the house is quiet once again. And if that doesn't work, I'm hoping I can just sleep it off.

This too shall pass.

Right? 

:)

4 comments:

  1. YES, it too shall pass!!! Sometimes walking away from it for a day or two helps get you back on track, especially when you've already hit the 50K mark. Maybe you could back up, do a little bit of tweaking, light editing to help unravel things for your later chapters?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It WILL pass, I'm sure of it. Same thing happened to me. Got to 50k and then the next day, I only wrote 165 words during the afternoon. I managed to scrape together enough motivation that night to power through to the end, but it was hard. You'll figure out what you need, even if that means taking a little break. Hopefully inspiration strikes soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK first, celebration time! Woohoo! In two weeks you wrote 50,000 words. FIFTY-THOUSAND! You are allowed to have lost some oomph because, again, you wrote 50,000 words in two weeks. Which is wow, astounding! So give yourself a minute to recoup and enjoy the accomplishment that you've just done.

    But yes, this too shall pass. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you all so much! I really needed the pep talk. It's just so weird to write furiously for two weeks and then suddenly...nothing.

    Angela, thanks for the idea to go back and do a little editing on what I'd already written. That's helped a lot, giving me a few more words and a better idea of my direction.

    Linda, thanks for the encouragement. It's good to know I'm not alone!

    Caitlin: I needed that reminder to celebrate. All I could think was "Why can't I write? What's wrong with me?" But you're right: after 50,000 words in two weeks, I deserve a break--and a little downtime!

    ReplyDelete