Tuesday, October 18, 2011

I'm back!

I decided this morning that I'll be participating in NaNoWriMo after all. :)

To all of you who offered encouragement in response to yesterday's post: thank you. I had been feeling pretty dejected about NaNo after I was told by someone close to me that my passion for writing is "stupid," but I felt better--and determined--after I read your encouraging responses. I wrote a response of my own this morning, where I tried to explain the reason that this person's lack of support hurt so much. (You can find my response here.)

What I learned from this experience is that although writing is a solitary activity, it's still necessary for me to feel supported by others and to have a sense that what I'm doing is important. Yes, I can write for me (and I do), but to know that someone is out there encouraging me and cheering me on reminds me that my passion is as important as anyone else's and following my dream is worthwhile.

I don't know how NaNo will go for me this year. I'm hoping that I'll make or exceed the word goal, as I did the two other years I participated. I think that this year my success will likely depend on my ability to find time to write around the distractions of my two very young children, which might prove difficult without family support. No matter what, though, I know that I have friends I can count on when the going gets tough. Thank you!

5 comments:

  1. yay for you!
    i dont hav much support for my writing either. it's just a hobby according to them. but that attitude will make getting published that much sweeter!
    good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry I missed yesterday's post!

    But Dana you have the most wonderful attitude. Someone dared to call your aspirations "stupid". You show 'em! You know what your passion and drive in life is.

    NaNoWriMo doesn't have to be perfect. It doesn't have to make sense or even be coherent. It's just writing in it's purest sense.

    I'm glad to see you taking part in NaNo this year :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Caitlin: Thanks for your comment! I love your definition of NaNo. You're right--it is writing in its purest sense, and I hope I remember that when I get hung up about my project's not being "perfect."

    Tara, you have such a great attitude! I'm sorry you don't have much support for your writing either. Thanks for your good luck wishes--and for your comment!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad to read this!

    I'm also glad, as I do, that have the support of both online and offline buddies. Even though the writing itself is done alone, it's good to know I have resources for when I'm struggling.

    I hope your online buddies will make up for the lack of offline support. ♥

    ReplyDelete