Thursday, January 20, 2011

Who am I?

The Billy Graham Evangelistic Association posted an interesting devotion today, in which Billy Graham discusses the idea that it's impossible for us to truly know who we are. He says that it's human nature for us to imitate our heroes and people we admire, so we take bits and pieces from each of them and end up creating a persona that really isn't genuine. He concludes by saying that each of us is actually three people: "There is the person you think you are. There is the person others think you are. There is the person God knows you are and can be through Christ." I found this devotion very thought-provoking, since I know that as a mom, I tend to be very hard on myself, and I know that the person I think I am is probably much more flawed than the person my friend sees when she looks at me. To know that I can be something more through Christ is reassuring.

Here's the link if you're interested in reading the devotion: Billy Graham's Daily Devotion.

No comments:

Post a Comment