Friday, March 16, 2012

Tracing the line

Today's 100 words:
 
I've been watching episodes of Who Do You Think You Are? on Hulu. I find it fascinating that the celebrities featured on the show are able to trace their family lines so far back. I'd love to do the same, and in fact, that's part of the work I'm attempting in my family history memoir. I plan on focusing on my parents and their lives but would also like to find out other information--like the reason my family came to this country. I only wish I had the resources to travel as the celebrities do on the show.

4 comments:

  1. You could always come stay with me in Utah if you want to do research at the Family History Library.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love that! (Maybe I'll have the opportunity in about twenty years!) Have you done any research there?

      Delete
  2. One of my first dates with Ba.D. after I found out I was pregnant involved him telling me about his family history. Because of how slave records were kept in the region they hail from, there's a very specific point beyond which his mom has a hard time tracing, but for 150ish years, they've got a perfect record of all the people leading them to here and now.

    He mistook my quiet for boredom, to which I said, "No, no, I'm just thinking how amazing it is that this kid'll actually know some of his history!" I grew up feeling like the second of two generations, so that's a pretty fabulous thought to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that's awesome that he can trace his family so far! I grew up feeling that my family went only as far back as my great-grandparents, but now I'm realizing (finally!) that my family goes back to Norway and other countries, and I want to find out more.

      Delete