Sunday, January 8, 2012

A writer's greatest enemy

Today's 100 words:

I think that the greatest enemy to any writer is comparison: when she starts to compare her writing to the writing of others, she will ultimately find her own lacking in some way, and then the discouragement will set in--"I'll never be good enough. I'm a talentless hack. Why do I even bother?"

I felt this last night as I was working on poems and reading others in a critique forum. Seeing how good many of them were, I became disheartened and began the inevitable comparison. I went to bed demoralized. Comparison is writing suicide.

3 comments:

  1. I completely understand. That's why I use my trusty writing gnome. He sits on my desk and whenever I look at him I remember to Keep Writing, no matter how terrible I feel about it. Self doubt is the poison that we all struggle not to drink.

    Keep positive and remember, what you write is like no other, you are unique and there is no use comparing. Chances are, out there someone is thinking the same about your writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Comparison is writing suicide."

    Oh, I couldn't agree more. I always enjoy your 100 words but this one really struck a chord with me and I had to comment. Like Dr. Seuss says, "There is no one alive who is Youer than You." so don't worry about being above or below somebody else. You're awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the encouragement, Angie. I'd forgotten about your writing gnome. We talked about him once on Twitter. I'm feeling better about what I wrote that day, and last night I wrote another poem that I'm happy with. Doubt comes and goes... Thanks again for the reminder!

    Dasia, I love the Dr. Seuss quote. Thank you so much for the encouragement!

    ReplyDelete