Thursday, June 28, 2012

I'm {blank} because...

I found this meme—started by Ashley at Little Miss Momma—during my travels around the blogosphere and thought it looked like fun. Happy Thursday, everyone!

* * * * * * * * * *
I'm weird because...

• I put hot sauce on my potato chips and popcorn.
• I have to use a comforter when I sleep, even in the summer.
• I can't sleep at night unless the comforter is covering my shoulders.
• I like onions and mustard on my grilled cheese sandwiches.
• I think Cheerios smell bad.
• I sing "Janie's Got a Gun" when I clean the house.
• I am not a hugger (kids, hubby, and parents excluded, of course).
• I reserve a huge part of my brain for celebrity facts.
• I'm terrified of house centipedes.
• I still have all my notebooks from high school and college.
• I'd rather shop for groceries than clothes.
• I don't like clothing or jewelry to be tight around my neck.
• I can't face my husband when I sleep; I feel like I'm breathing in his air.
• I can't start my day without making the bed.
• I talk to myself (and to my characters) all the time.
• I'm compulsive about checking (and sometimes rechecking) all the appliances before I leave the house.


Invasion of the toys! This is why I don't invite you over. ;-)
[My five-year-old son took this picture!]

I'm a bad friend because...

• I wait for someone else to make plans.
• I rarely invite people over. (My house is usually a mess.)
• I sometimes get excited and interrupt other people.
• I'm not good with spontaneous plans. I like routines and schedules.
• I'm secretly glad when plans get canceled because then I can hang out at home.
• It sometimes takes me a while to return e-mails.


I'm a good friend because...

• I listen.
• I'm loyal.
• I like giving advice when I'm asked for it.
• I apologize when I'm wrong.
• I remember birthdays and other special days.


I'm sad because...

• my kids are growing up so fast.
• I sometimes feel like I'm failing as a mommy.
• I live 1,000 miles away from my family and only get to see them once a year.
• I never seem to have time to do everything I want to do.
• I still have a ton of laundry to do before our trip.
• I feel like I don't do enough with my kids.
• I wanted to lose a few more pounds before my vacation.
• my husband drank all the milk last night and now there's none for my cereal.
• I'll only have sporadic Internet access while I'm on vacation.
• I sometimes feel like I'm just spinning my wheels when it comes to following my writing dreams.
• Gossip Girl is ending after next season. (I know I mentioned this earlier in the week, but trust me, it bears repeating.)


Image courtesy of Sanja Gjenero, rgbstock.com


I'm happy because...

• my kids tell me daily that they love me.
• I have so many wonderful blogging friends.
• I got my hair cut last Friday.
• my kids are healthy and happy and smart.
• It's almost time to visit my family.
• my kids like to sleep in.
• school's out, so I've been getting a little more sleep each night.


I'm excited because...

• my blogging friends gave me so many great book suggestions yesterday. (Thanks!)
• I'm going shopping for my daughter's birthday gift tonight.
• we'll get to celebrate my daughter's third birthday with my parents
• my friend is having a playdate for our kids this week—and we'll have Mommy time!
• I'll be seeing my parents in a few days.


How about you? What are you {blank} about today?

35 comments:

  1. This was cute to read; we are a lot alike, LOL, I need a comforter on at night too (hubby wonders why in the hot weather, LOL). You are a great mom; I think all of us as moms wonder how we are doing, but if you love your kids, spend time with them, take care of them, be consistent with discipline and even if you fail on that at times, it all turns out good; you are doing a fantastic job, so don't worry too much about that!

    It is hard to live away from family; we lived away for a lot of years. But then your own immediate family gets to be really close because of the distance away from others.

    enjoy the day!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the encouragement. Some mom days are definitely harder than others. Yesterday was good: no fighting. The other day? Yikes. :)

      I love your way of looking at the good side of living far from family. You're right: my husband, kids, and I are really close, and that is probably due partly to the fact that our families don't live near us.

      Have a great day!

      Delete
  2. That's a fun meme! I am like you on pretty much all of the parts about friends!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm weird because......oh, the heck with it, you don't have enough time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm impressed -- I don't think I'm in tune with myself enough to create such a list! I'm excited today because we're leaving for the lake in a couple hours and 2 of my husband's sisters are joining us for the weekend. The oldest is going through a divorce at this late stage of her life, but she's getting her emotional and physical health back on track and that's a great relief for the whole family. We're looking forward to being together.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We have some in common from most categories. I should probably do this sometime.

    I'm sad today because it's supposed to be the hottest day of the year so far. I'm a fall and winter person.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would be sad about that, too. Seventy-five degrees is hot enough. Hope you're able to stay cool.

      Delete
  6. I can't sleep unless I have a cover on me, and I'm terrible for checking appliances before I leave the house! Then when I leave, I spend the next 10 minutes panicking in case I forgot something. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. We have a lot of weird similarities. I had a period in life when I visited people's places that if I saw an unmade bed, I would make it. It takes great resolve not to do it these days!

    I'm happy today because everyone likes my book cover and I had been very nervous about it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never made someone else's bed, but I can understand the urge. :)

      Your cover looks fantastic! I would definitely pick up your book if I saw it on a shelf.

      Delete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm weird b/c my feet have to be exposed (so socks, no blanket) when I sleep.
    I'm a bad friend b/c I forget birthdays.
    I'm a good friend b/c I make up for it later, when I forget birthdays.
    I'm sad b/c I can't seem to lose excess weight.
    I'm happy b/c I have the freedom to write.
    I'm excited b/c we have our first tomato from our sad, little garden.
    Thank you for allowing me to share.
    I agree w/ Corgi, you are a great mom. We can tell my your writing. We all do the best we can!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *no* socks.
      *by* your writing.
      Typos. sigh.

      Delete
    2. I'm the opposite when it comes to feet; mine have to be under the blanket. :)

      I'm also happy that I have the freedom to write. I can't imagine not being able to do so...

      Congrats on the tomato! I can understand the excitement. I once had a cherry tomato plant in a big pot, and I remember how thrilled I was when I saw its first tomato! Do you like tomato sandwiches? I'd love one of those right now.

      Thanks for the encouragement. :)

      Delete
  10. Cute stuff. Onions in grilled cheese sounds yummy, I'll have to try it and I agree that Cheerios are stinky!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Try it—it's wonderful!

      Cheerios stink, but I eat them anyway. :)

      Delete
  11. YOU ARE SO GREAT, THIS LIST OF ALL YOUR TOPICS HAD AT LEAST A 75% OF ME TOO!!! WOW CRAZY WEIRD HUH? THE FACT YOU LOVE TO BE HOME WITH YOUR KIDS SAYS IT ALL .... YOU ARE A SUPER FANTASTIC MOM. HAVE A GREAT VACATION & SAFE TRAVELS...ENJOY YOUR TIME WITH FAMILY YOU DESERVE IT :))

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm happy because it's too hot to go outside... I must stay in and read! :)

    Cute post!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. There's something on my blog for you, Dana! :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love when my friends actually listen to me.... That makes you and epic friend! (and quirky, too. ;)

    And, that whole 'breathing someone else's air' thing is so me, too. I hate doing that! It's not even the right air, so it makes sense to hate breathing it, besides the fact it smells bad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I'm definitely quirky! :)

      I'm so glad I'm not alone in the "breathing someone else's air" thing. I completely agree with everything you said. I just wish my husband did. ;)

      Delete
  15. Only the good moms worry about not being a good enough mom. It's kind of like being crazy--the people who worry they are crazy--aren't--ROFL!
    This looks like a fun thing to do but I don't have time right now. Glad you did, though. It was fun to read. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I LOVE when plans get canceled, too! Haha. I'm so weird, but I'm a homebody and half the time I don't want to go do whatever those plans are so I can do something I want to do at home. Haha. Awesome post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lindsey! I'm glad you feel the same way—I was starting to think I was all alone. ;)

      Delete
  17. This is great, Dana. I think I need to do this one.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I relate to so many of these! I think turtlenecks should be outlawed, who can breath when they wear those things? And I'm am super excited to go shopping this weekend for my daughter's 15th birthday. Usually she knows exactly what she's getting (she's clairvoyant like that) but this year I think I'm going to surprise her!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Turtlenecks make me feel claustrophobic.

      Happy birthday to your daughter! Have fun shopping. I shopped for my girl last night. :)

      Delete