|Photo by Petr Kratochvil, courtesy of Public Domain Pictures|
I was honored to receive several Kreativ Blogger awards recently, and today I'd like to thank those who passed them along to me: Danielle at Sweet Tea Reads, Ermie at Just Ermie, and Jaycee at Jaycee DeLorenzo's Blog. Click on the links to learn about them and their great blogs!
Since I've already answered the questions associated with this award and have subjected you all to many random facts, today I'm going to do something different and share some items from my bucket list.
This August I will celebrate one of the "big" birthdays, and I've really started to realize as I've gotten older that no one knows how much time he or she has on this earth. I've kept a bucket list for years--all those things I want to do before I die--but I haven't done many of the things on it. My young self felt like there would always be time; my older self, however, knows better, and lately I've been more earnest in my pursuit of the things I want to accomplish.
I'm inspired by the last two lines in "The Summer Day," a poem by Mary Oliver:
"Tell me, what is it you plan to do
with your one wild and precious life?"
In response, here are just twenty-five of the things I plan to do with my "one wild and precious life":
|Image courtesy of Justyna Furmanczyk, |
1. send a message in a bottle
2. sponsor a child
3. write a children's book
4. see the fall foliage in New England
5. write a letter to each of my children, telling them what I want them to know about my life and the lessons I've learned
6. read the entire Bible
7. sing karaoke
8. own (or at least try on) a pair of Christian Louboutin shoes
9. have my own writing space, perhaps even rent a studio
10. see the midnight sun in Norway
11. finish my family history memoir
12. inspire someone to follow his or her dreams
13. visit the Louvre
14. write an inspiring note and leave it somewhere for a stranger to find
15. go to Alaska and Hawaii
16. take a 365-day challenge
17. go back to New York City, a place where I feel alive
18. attend a Billy Graham Crusade
19. recite my poems at a poetry reading
20. publish a book
21. eat at one of Tom Colicchio's restaurants
22. learn how to paint
23. grow a bonsai tree
24. see the Avenue of the Giants
25. study art history
I've got a lot of work to do!
In one of my travels around the Internet, I came across a site where people publish their bucket lists. I plan to start an account and publish my entire list there soon.
And finally, although I haven't seen it myself, I've heard many good things about The Bucket List, a movie starring Jack Nicholson and Morgan Freeman. A user on YouTube, NixSeraph, created a montage of scenes from the movie and set them to singer Tim McGraw's "Live Like You Were Dying." I found the video to be very inspiring. I hope you do as well.
So tell me, friends, what will you do "with your one wild and precious life?" What's on your bucket list?
*Quotes from Mary Oliver's "The Summer Day"