Thursday, October 13, 2011

The secret

Today's 100 words:

You had wanted to keep us a secret, you said after everyone had found out we were together, dating, seeing each other--whatever they wanted to call it. It's funny that I didn't get that memo, didn't know that we were supposed to act one way in private, another in the sight of our friends, didn't know that my leaning my head on your shoulder or holding your hand would be acceptable in one place and not in the other. Relationships shouldn't have those rules, and neither should love. But I remember now: you never said you loved me.

2 comments:

  1. I had this experience with an old ex. He said one time, "I love you, but . . ." in response to something. I told his girlfriend just prior about this and was so sad when she said, "He told you he loved you?"

    Ugh. I wish I could let folks know relationships one person tries to hide are not relationships worth having.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so true. I look back now and see how dumb it was for me to let this guy become my life--even after we were no longer together. I hope to keep my daughter from someday going through this same kind of thing...

    ReplyDelete