Monday, January 21, 2013

No matter how old you get...

you'll always be someone's child.

Aw, Mom. Not again!
Image courtesy of Sanja Gjenero,
rgbstock.com
Case in point: I was walking through the parking lot of our local grocery store last week when I saw a woman who was probably in her late eighties or early nineties and a gentleman who was about twenty or thirty years younger. The man had just gotten out of the driver's seat of a car and had walked around to the front passenger door, where the woman was getting out. As they started to walk toward the store, the woman put her hand on the man's arm to stop him, then spit on her finger and starting scrubbing at something on the man's face. "Mom!" he screamed and shrugged her away. He met my eyes then, and his face turned red. I gave him a small smile, but I admit that inside I was laughing my head off. The poor guy...

The lesson? No matter how old their children get, mothers will always reserve the right to scrub their faces with spit.

Wishing you a happy—and spit-free—Monday!

36 comments:

  1. so true---now if only our grown kids got this :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. The woman was so tiny that she had to stand on her tiptoes to reach her son's face. So cute!

      Delete
  3. It's probably the only power she still has left to use on him, I do feel sorry for him though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're probably right.

      Once a mom, always a mom. :)

      Delete
  4. I'm definitely going to do that to my boys when they're fifty. I might also give them a £1 coin to buy their favourite sweets and make them wait for the green man before they cross the road!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. I'm quite sure I'll be doing the same thing one day. :)

      Delete
  6. I'm always smoothing my teen son's eyebraws. They just look so bushy sometimes. lol!

    ReplyDelete
  7. No no no - I never did that to my kids and, holy moley, I never will! I love the image of the 60 or 70 year old son helping his 80 or 90 year old mom. I sill feel like a kid in the presence of my 90 year old mother - but in a good way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was nice to see him helping her. :)

      I guess we'll always feel like kids when we're around our parents. I do.

      Delete
  8. My mother would never do that to me...I'm the one picking her nursing home. MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've just spent the day watching my Grandma and Mom interact, and it has never been more apparent to me that is true. Your Mom is your Mom, regardless if you are 62 and she is 80!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hahaha that's so funny! My little brother has started getting a little embarassed at school now, we walk there holding hands but sometimes he'll drop my hand as we reach the pavement. I should start giving him a huge lipstick-y kiss on the cheek and do the spit wiping, extra embarrassment!

    ReplyDelete
  11. ha ha..that is right!! even when they are big shots with big desks we are still their mom!!!
    fun story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And we all turn into kids again when we're around our parents. :)

      Delete
  12. Too cute!! I have to restrain myself a lot of times from telling son to take a coat with him when he's leaving (he's 23 :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm willing to bet that in a few years, I'll be trying to restrain myself from saying the same kinds of things. :)

      Happy Tuesday!

      Delete
  13. That's too funny. My mom was a spit washer. TG they had Wet One's when I had my kids. I often wonder if they were invented by someone whose mother was a spit washer and they wanted to give mothers another option. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. LOL this is too fun and so so true! Thanks for sharing this great story! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a great thing to see—definitely one of the highlights of my day!

      Delete
  15. Oh how I laughed. This guy would be even more mortified to know you've shared the story with all of us!

    ReplyDelete