Friday, April 6, 2012

F is for F•R•I•E•N•D•S (and friends)

F•R•I•E•N•D•S has always been one of my favorite television shows. I watched it pretty regularly when it first aired on TV, and I never seem to tire of the reruns.

I think what makes F•R•I•E•N•D•S such an enduring program is the closeness between the characters and how well they know and understand each other. These aren't superficial relationships between fair-weather friends; these characters know that they can depend on each other, no matter the circumstances. They offer support and acceptance, they're trustworthy and honest, and they stick with each other in good times and bad.

Isn't this just the type of friendship we desire in our own lives? Do you have a Monica or a Chandler in your life? How about a Rachel or a Ross? A quirky Phoebe? A cute but slightly dim-witted Joey?

I've never been the kind of person to have large groups of friends, but throughout my life I have had a handful of what people usually call best friends, those who not only exhibit all the qualities I described above but share my interests as well. They're the type of people that never quit the friendship, even if circumstances--having to move away, for example--make the relationship more difficult to maintain.

I'm still in contact with my best friend from high school, even though I've moved one thousand miles away from her. We keep in touch as often as we can via phone calls, emails, and Facebook, and when we see each other each summer, it feels like we've never been apart. We look forward to the visits, but we also know that even when we're apart, we can still depend on each other for support.

Since I moved here to New York, I've made another close friend, a fellow 30-something mommy. Perhaps more than any other situation in my life, becoming a mother has made me realize just how important friends are and how much we really need people who understand where we're coming from because they're right there in the trenches with us. They can help us through bad days filled with fighting kids, unhelpful spouses, and perpetual messes, and they can share our glee over our child's potty training and bike riding triumphs.

We need friends. (And F•R•I•E•N•D•S, too, if you're like me.)

What about you? Tell me about your friends and the importance of friendship in your life.

8 comments:

  1. Recently I've made my first grown-up friend. You know, a friend who's never held your hair back from errant vomit resplashings? It's been real interesting to grow close to someone who I don't have a history with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know exactly what you mean! ;) And you're right--it is interesting to get to know someone you don't have a shared history with. My friendship with my high school friend, who I've known since we were 12, is different from the one I have with my New York friend, who I met only a few years ago. Both friendships are important, but they're different, and I think it's because of the history (or lack of). Thanks for your comment!

      Delete
  2. I've never had more than 2 or 3 close friends at one time- I prefer it that way as we are all know each other so well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm the same way. I need to get to know someone well before I'm truly comfortable with them. That just wouldn't be possible for me in a large group.

      Delete
  3. I still watch this show in reruns :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do, too--almost every day. :)

      Thanks for your comment!

      Delete
  4. Just catching up on your AtoZ.
    I posted f for Friendship and comments said it was beautiful and sad. Friends are essential to our wellbeing.

    ReplyDelete