Sunday, February 19, 2012

Creativity slump

Today's 100 words:

Another week, and I still find myself in a creativity slump. This morning I tried to think of the reasons I've been so reluctant to go back to writing my poems and stories, hoping that knowing the answer would help me to begin again. I discovered two: discouragement and fear. I'm discouraged because some members of my online critique group seem intent on tearing others down rather than encouraging them constructively, and I'm fearful that the things I've put my heart into will mean nothing to others.

I don't know if this knowledge will change anything at all...

6 comments:

  1. As someone in her own personal slump, all I can say is that it has to mean something to you. It has to mean enough that you're willing to share it, you're willing to face embarrassing moments with it. It's like loving a child with a disability. It's yours and you can't be scared to go out in public--together. Embrace the love in your heart and stay creative.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beautifully said! Thank you for this encouragement.

      Delete
  2. I don't think that you should ever be fearful of your critique group. Sure a bit of apprehension might be normal, but it sounds as if you might not have the best critique group. I know it can be hard, but might it be time to find another group? I'd love to see you pursuing something that you love!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been thinking the same thing, Caitlin. Maybe I'll find a better fit elsewhere. I want the criticism, but it's the attitude from some members of that group that really bothers me. After all, criticism does not have to be given in a demeaning way...

      Thanks for your comments!

      Delete
  3. I've come across people like that. They tend to be fearful of your talent so it's a backhanded (and cruel) compliment.

    It's too easy to say 'ignore them', but the best way I've found to treat them is to say 'thank you for that, I'll keep it in mind when I do my revisions.' Then ignore it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right: this is probably the best way to deal with those kinds of people. Now if I can just keep my soft heart from being hurt anyway...

      Delete